Valentine’s Day is the day of unmet…be it:
prince charmings (or damsels distressed),
It is the day they may not (or they may).
It is the day where thought counts.
Because most of the time,
The hallmark cards are hailing us
To overthink it.
To what avail? That she doesn’t get
Him his dignity?
His dinner date?
Her quality time?
No question’s popped and we question
Because cupid said to.
Red hearts and pink lips scold us to.
And I take my red ink and edit or file away
The memory of the feelings
So I can decide what I should feel
Could the 14th not just be another day
In which I aim to love as well as possible
Anyone needing it in my vicinity?
Whoever my Christ, my Groom, placed in my
Could this year just be an ebenezer, another
One that sings, “I am growing in love and being loved all the more—
sibling (by my or His blood)
The largest Enemy I know
By way of lacking paper cards or intimacy, by jealousy, or
Because though I may carry all of these
And the lack of romance threatens to
Puppet my apathy
I choose to take heart,
Paste it to my sleeve,
Guard it graciously,
Though I struggle with the ones I’m dealt.
Joy in the rose’s thorns even if there’s no
Flower at the end of my stem
I will bleed for you, my brothers and sisters,
and I will wait, trusting He will fill with holy
The holes, wholly,
- “Tendons (The Release)” by Bellarive – These are my favorite lines (of many) from the spoken part:
“So if Christ is alive, the love
And the groom
Then take heed my friends
For chivalry is not dead
For I know no other lover who would
Have met me here in this place”
- “Loved” by JJ Heller – It’s incredibly cheesy, but the video for this makes me smile.
- “Where is it Written?” a blog post by Melissa Zaldivar – This expresses a lot of how I feel about today, and is something I wish I’d been able to read in my early teens. Please take a minute to read.
- st. valentine – a playlist for Valentine’s I tried to make more inspired by what we know of St. Valentine and the love of God
- This drawing-thought I did a while back
I know it’s been a tick since I last wrote a blog post, but life happened. Hopefully more writing will be going on in the future, but anyway, here’s something I jotted down at the beginning of the month and decided to share.
Fight well and unalone,